Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Who you callin' sophisticated?


I enjoy that friends are so gracious in sharing information they come across because they know I'm fascinated by artisan cheese and writing a blog about my encounters with cheesemakers and mongers. Janet McCall at The Northern Light in Blaine brought this quote to my attention:

"The increasingly sophisticated American palate for the 300 varieties of natural and specialty blended cheeses sold in the U.S. will pace future growth in a $14 billion retail market that is projected to be on fire by 2020, according to 'Natural and Specialty Cheese: The U.S. Market and a Global Perspective,' a first-of-its-kind report by market research publisher Packaged Facts. The retail natural and specialty blended cheese market showed healthy growth from 2005 to 2009, posting a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7%. Packaged Facts projects the market will approach $17 billion by 2014."

That's a lot of cheese, folks! I found it interesting and encouraging seeing the volume of natural and specialty blended cheese being made here and/or imported. However, one aspect of that quote didn't feel right, "a sophisticated palate." I would have been more comfortable with the term "educated" rather than "sophisticated."

I'm definitely not sophisticated.

In meeting and talking with local creamery owners and cheesemakers, I've been impressed by their knowledge and talents, and moved by their hardships and victories, their passions and dreams. They are, for the most part, humble protectors and advocates for soil conservation, passionate about their livestock and their cheese, and taking pride in making the best product they can for their clients. Sophisticated is not generally a term I would use to describe them.

Then there are everyman, ordinary consumers, like me, who aren't interested in the elitist, social snobbery, of eating cheese deemed high-brow.

I hope to encourage more consumers to re-connect with their food sources. I'm not climbing up on my soapbox ... but ... I think it valuable for the health and welfare of our communities that local cottage industries be supported and sustained by folks who live right next door, particularly when they are providing a healthy, incredibly good tasting product!

Wow! Little did I realize that phrasing would tweak a nerve. If you want to be sophisticated, I promise I won't hold it against you! I'm simply trying to promote the benefit of educating myself (and maybe others) about artisan cheese and cheesemakers.





1 comment:

  1. I love your perspective. I would venture to guess this is how most of us feel. As a small, local goat cheese producer myself, I really appreciate you highlighting how we are really trying to do the best we can for our animals, our eaters, our employees, and our lands. It is a job that is never "done", but it is certainly done with passion, commitment, and perseverance. Thank you for supporting us.
    Rhonda Gothberg
    www.gothbergfarms.com
    www.facebook.com/gothbergfarms

    ReplyDelete