Monday, February 15, 2010

Silver Springs Creamery


Responding to an excellent article I read on Facebook about goat milk, a “comment” from Silver Springs Creamery popped onto my screen. I hadn’t before come across this creamery, so was intrigued to find out more about it.

I looked in my copy of Tami Parr’s “Artisan Cheese of the Pacific Northwest,” and there it was on E. Hemmi Road in Lynden, near Bellingham, WA. Nice surprise; only 30 minutes away from where I live!

I called and talked with Cara Flora, recently hired for product sales and marketing.
Eric Sundstrom is the owner/cheesemaker, who along with his daughter and son, keep the family farm running. Away I went to find out more about this local cheesemaker.

After many years working for others, Eric decided he could do better for his family and purchased his own farm in 2004, and in 2006 was licensed to make cheese from the milk of his herd of Jersey cows. The family had a devastating setback in 2007, but through sheer determination and hard work, they are back stronger than ever. It was evident while talking with Eric that aside from the fact that he’s a man of few words, he is firmly committed to and loves his farm, and is making the most of what he has. I could feel his resolve. I asked him what he loved best about his farm and he said, “Waking up early every morning and making it happen.”

When Tami’s book was published, Silver Springs Creamery had only Jersey cows and made Gouda and Jeddar (cheddar made with Jersey cows’ milk), yogurt, ice cream and sorbet.

Eric has since added to his 8 Jersey cows, some 20 Lamancha goats (an American breed with cute little nub ears close to their head) and is now offering goat milk, yogurt and gouda. He noted the increase in the demand for goat dairy products, and so moved forward to supply that demand. Silver Springs is a member of the PNW Cheese Project and a member of Sustainable Connections in Whatcom County. Respecting the land is Eric's priority, as that is what makes good milk and sustains his animals. He planted a specific blend of grains and grasses in his pastures and doesn't spray chemicals and uses organic fertilizers, which enable his animals to produce a better quality of milk.





I was provided with a sampling of just about all of their creations, and everything made my taste buds cheer with pleasure!

I was given Jersey cow milk ice cream (Vanilla and Coffee w/Heath Bar) and I ate them right away because I didn’t have good enough refrigeration at the office; several others helped me try out the ice cream. Both were so creamy and flavorful, and both get my thumbs up, although I especially enjoyed the Coffee w/Heath Bar!


I also enjoyed the fresh goat milk, and the goat milk yogurt. Oh my! The yogurt was a lot creamier than I anticipated. Had that great fresh yogurt taste, but loved the creamy consistency! Eric doesn’t include stabilizers. It’s all goat milk and live culture. Yum!

Ah … but now we get to the cheese!!!!!

You’ll find them listed and described on the Silver Springs website. So I’ll just add my own few comments.



La Jersey is a semi-hard cheese made from a blending of goat and cow milk. The two flavors I had—they offer plain, dill and onion, cumin, herb and black pepper—were both very smooth, velvety. I absolutely adored the Black Pepper! I ate it sliced on some crisp peppery crackers, and it was perfect! Definitely not too much pepper! I also had the Plain La Jersey, which was delicious both for snacking and grated onto my spaghetti last night.

Goat Gouda was a beautifully fresh tasting pale yellow cheese. Made in the traditional Dutch manner, but using goat milk instead of cow milk. This was excellent in sandwiches and as a snack by itself. I think Eric ages this cheese 4-6 months.

I also had a sample of The Big D, which is a crumbly, sharp Lamancha goat milk cheese. As the cheese ages, at least 6 months, it evolves in flavor. You’ll enjoy this robust, salty cheese.

I didn’t have a sample of Jeddar, which is Eric’s Jersey cow milk cheese aged at least 9 months. This sharp cheddar cheese should be available this summer. They also produce a classic cow milk Gouda, and Classic, goat milk aged hard cheese which is more mild than the sharp Big D.

Hard-working Eric seems to do it all! He does the milking and handling of the cows and does, AND he makes all the cheese. He creates all of his cheeses in 10-pound wheels, except for The Big D, which is made in 2-lb wheels. As you can guess, not all cheeses are available at all times. Call the farm store or check the website to find out what is ready for your enjoyment. However, Eric doesn’t quite do it all. His daughter and son, when not in school, also spend a lot of time helping with the 38-acre family farm. Eric’s son is quite proud of his free-range chickens and plans to add more to his flock. And, Cara Flora seems to be proving herself an excellent addition to the operation.

Silver Springs is a work in progress. A building houses the cheesemaking room, and the cheese aging room, with large viewing windows so visitors can see what it’s all about. Also in this building is the store and although you can now buy directly from the farm, soon the store will be enlarged to also offer free-range chicken eggs, and produce harvested from the 2 acres that will be planted with fava, spring greens, bok choy, lettuce mixes, onions, radishes and this summer Cara said they’ll have tomatillos, corn, tomatoes, hot peppers.

My photographs are rather winter dreary; everything looks better in the spring and summer months!

But there’s nothing dreary about the Silver Springs Creamery products! Although you can go out to the farm and buy the dairy products, it might be easier for you to purchase them at either of the Bellingham Co-ops,
the Skagit Co-op,
or Terra Organica.
You can also call the farm store or e-mail to have Cara ship an order of the available hard cheeses to you.

Eric plans to eventually provide a destination farm tour for visitors. I think it will be worth the wait!
In the meantime, do try all of the superior dairy products of Silver Springs Creamery. I heartily recommend them to you!



Silver Springs Creamery
Store Hours M-F 11 am - 4 pm
256 E. Hemmi Road
Lynden, WA 98264

(360) 820-1384



Thank you, Cara, for the photograph of Mt. Baker as seen from the farm!

And thank you, Eric, for taking the time to answer my questions and providing me with way more information than I could fit in this article!















2 comments:

  1. thanks so much for visiting the farm Kay! the article is great :) Come back anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric is my nephew. What a nice webpage of his cheese making facility. I hope he gets all the business he deserves. Good job!! The cheese and sorbet is great! It's time to make another trip north!

    ReplyDelete