Monday, October 12, 2009

Cypress Grove Chevre ... Goat Milk Cheese


I had been tussling with a cold/flu/cough … whatever … for the last couple of weeks, but I have to admit that it was great to be able to take off a couple of days from work and not do anything but sleep and try to rid my body of that crud.

I could still taste, but when considering what to fix for my breakfast, my appetite fled. I knew I had to eat to fuel fighting the cold. One morning in particular I remember fussing over needing to eat, but not finding anything of interest, until I spied the chevre I had purchased when out to pick up groceries the day before.

I cut up chunks of Tuscany melon and some fresh strawberries, crumbled the chevre over the top and enjoyed. Yes, I shoved aside my headache, cough and fatigue of the cold and focused on the bowl of nutrition--just think of all the Vitamin C in the strawberries and cantaloupe and a wee bit of Protein, Vitamin A and Calcium--in front of me.

Oh my! The over-the-top sweetness of the melon was a most delectable partnership with the smooth consistency and fresh taste of the chevre. I think most people might mistakenly associate goat milk cheese with feta cheese. That’s a whole different process and taste. Chevre isn’t sweet, but it isn’t bitter or salty either. It’s just fresh and very creamy.

When I have the option, I order goat cheese on my leafy greens salad tossed with dried cranberries. Now that I think about it, I like all sorts of fruit bits tossed with my green salads, and the chevre tastes good included with apple and/or pear.
No cure for the common cold, but a decidedly delicious cheese!



Cypress Grove Chevre
Pasteurized cultured goat milk, salt, enzymes
4-oz round (4 servings)
Calories: 70
Protein: 4g
Vitamin A: 4%
Calcium: 2%
Sodium: 90mg
Cholesterol 15 mg
Total Fat 6g

No comments:

Post a Comment